Saturday, September 10, 2016

LOVING THE GINGER BEER HERE

In the past, I have always liked the occasional ginger beer, but here on the island it has become my staple request at pubs and restaurants.  Gosling's Ginger beer is an island made beverage that has been brewed to perfection.  It is just the right amount of spicyness and sweetness that tastes great, and is a welcome relief from my usual and boring diet coke.  Now if only the pubs would go for the diet ginger beer too.  Never mind - I now have my own stock of Gosling's diet ginger beer in our fridge.    

Apparently Gosling's - our famous distiller of Black Seal Rum - brewed the ginger beer especially for the island's national drink - the Dark 'N Stormy  - a highball cocktail made with dark rum and ginger beer, served over ice and a slice of lime.  A nice drink and something I would order on special occasions - but prefer the pure ginger beer, which goes down easily every time.

Ginger beer's origins date from the colonial spice trade in the Orient, and the sugar producing islands of the Carribbean and it has stayed popular in Bermuda ever since then. 

And why, may you ask, is it called ginger beer?  Well, according to my sources it is a beverage made from extracts of roots and plants - just like all the other beers!

Cheers everyone.






No comments:

Post a Comment