Tuesday, May 3, 2016

ANTS IN YOUR TEAPOT ANYONE?

I landed in Johannesburg, South Africa on March 31, 2016 for a much anticipated two week visit with family - a special time devoted to family get-togethers with my mother, and my brothers and their families.  Unfortunately, I was the only member of our family in Canada able to make this one.

This year marks our 30th year of landed immigrant status in Canada.  I contemplate the reality that Patrick and I have spent as long living in Canada as we lived in South Africa.  We have a foothold on two continents with vastly different styles of living.  We cling to both I think - perhaps it's a 'head vs heart' thing.


We made our first return journey in 1996 and since then have managed to get back every two years or so - either 'en famille', together as a couple, or just one of us.  That's at least 10 trips over a period of twenty years.  It certainly has helped us stay connected and bonded with the people we love.  It has also helped to salve the wounds of separation and feelings of isolation and culture shock as we continue to navigate our path in our chosen land. 

As soon as the plane touches down you know you are in Africa, and back in the land of your birth. This visit was no different - the beauty of African landscapes and sunsets, the earthy smell of the veld, the call of the hadeda ibis, the drama of the Highveld thunderstorm.  And then there are the everyday delights of familiar accents, mall ambling, and visits to old haunts.  There's also a sadness at the daily witness of poverty, crime, fear and political uncertainty.  Mostly, it's a tremendous appreciation for family connections - sitting with my 'boet' as if we do it every day, making tea for my mom, just catching up with 'sisters', so that it feels like you have never left. 

Every time we come here, I am struck by the vicissitudes of the African lifestyle and attitude to life.  As always though, my homeland wraps itself around my heart like a comforting down duvet.  I marvel at its softness and warmth, its strength and depths of resilience.  It seems to me that South Africans in general are a hard working, resilient nation; adept at problem-solving and making the most of what they have.  Capable of accepting the curveballs that life throws their way: risking all, being creative and flexible.  Best of all - having realistic expectations that can be remolded to fit the situation - bleak or blissful - whatever is demanded.  This attitude was poignantly obvious at the beautiful Tuscany Bed and Breakfast hotel we have stayed at since about 2000.  Sitting in the dining room eating a sumptuous breakfast with other guests, the owner does a quick shout out: "Does anyone have ants in their teapot - I can give it a quick rinse if you would like".


Ah, my heart still lives in Africa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment